The thirteenth edition of the ABC Salud awards will be presented this Thursday, November 23, at the Casa de ABC. This year’s recipients include a microbiologist, Francis J. Mojica, a scientist who has been a crucial figure in the development of genetic editing that is revolutionizing medicine. Additionally, there have been advances in mental health, fetal surgery, and data management and clinical history of patients.
The ABC Salud awards have had an exceptional jury, chaired by the former Minister of Health, Ana Pastor. The jurors include the director of the National Transplant Organization (ONT), the director of the Carlos III Health Institute, the president of the General Council of Official Medical Associations, and many others involved in the health care sector.
The 2023 winners include several notable projects and initiatives that have made significant contributions to various areas of healthcare. These include:
* The work of Francis J. Mojica and his team in developing genetic editing technology that is transforming medicine
* Janssen’s new fast-acting antidepressant for improving mental health treatment options
* A clinical history project in private healthcare for better patient outcomes and improved care delivery
* A pediatric transplantation project for saving lives and improving children’s quality of life after organ transplants
* A mental health awareness campaign to promote understanding and reduce stigma around mental illnesses
* A hospital in Seville that helps babies with malformations through innovative treatments and surgical techniques
* An oncological hyper-early diagnosis and prevention unit for detecting cancer at an early stage for more effective treatment options
* A foundation dedicated to improving the health conditions of vulnerable populations through education, advocacy, and direct services.